Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 77: A Spring In My Step

Inspired by the Spring weather that will soon taper away into the cold again this weekend, last night I decided last night that I was going to challenge myself to walk all the way from downtown to my place on the Northwest Side. I put on my sneakers for the first time since maybe last October and I was pumped for the walk the whole day at work.

By midday, I wasn't sure if I would walk along Lake Shore Drive or if I'd walk through the neighborhoods as I originally planned. In the end, I stuck with my original plan and this is what I ended up doing:



Total distance: 8.11 miles and it did take me almost three hours. I really enjoyed it though and I plan to do a variation on it at least once a week. I want to make sure the route is different every time though; that's what keeps it interesting.

I stopped at a Subway around Fullerton and Lincoln halfway through, simply because I needed a nosh. I met up with my lovely friend Kate Lambert at Addison and Southport, who, honestly, really made the last part of the walk go by faster. Thanks, Lamby!

I'm looking forward to doing more walks like these and if anyone wants to join me, the more the merrier. I ultimate goal this summer is to walk the entirety of Western Avenue, which is officially a little over the length of a marathon. I'm certain I can do it, although walking a straight line north might be a bit more boring than I'd wish for. Someone did this route years ago and took pictures of their trip and put them up on a website. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Anyway, this summer. Maybe around August?

And again, anyone who wants to join me is welcome.

Neil

1 comment:

jonathan said...

good work brother. that's an awesome walk! i'd be into the western walk with you this summer if i can swing it.