Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 145: Is this July?

Seemingly overnight, Chicago weather has turned into what it usually is in July. The skies are now thankfully clear and what was too cold (lower 60s) is now too hot (upper 80s). However, this weather is just about right for those who want to get in shape.

It is incredibly weird to me, though. Yesterday, but especially today, felt like we had jumped ahead in time. I was looking forward to the slow temperature increases we were going to get as we got closer to June 21st - the official first day of summer, still almost a month away - but it really feels like it's July and it really is messing with my brain.

All I did on Saturday and Sunday was shoot the new Cell Camp short so today was my weekend. I go back to work tomorrow but it feels like I haven't been there in forever. It's really weird. Is anyone else in the area feeling this way?

At any rate, I'm confident I'll be back to losing weight this week. I've got events going on many nights this week to which I'll be biking. I had a biking adventure with Rachel today and went to Lakeview for the first Apes meeting later this evening.

I'm actually thinking about biking to work, but I'm trying to figure out how I'd get there without going through any bad neighborhoods. I work in North Lawndale, so this is next-to-impossible. I mapped out a route, but really, I'm just concerned over the last few miles or so. Right around Garfield Park is where it gets pretty sketchy for me. It's one thing to drive through there - it was part of my driving route when I had a car - but by bike is another thing, especially when you read terrible stories like this.

10 miles would be an awesome workout and a great start to the day, plus the 10 miles back home. It would also actually get me to work faster than it does the train and bus ride I take now, believe it or not. The safety issue is something I'm just not comfortable with yet. There's always some risk biking in the city, anywhere, for a myriad of reasons, but there's plenty of other places I can bike to and worry less about it.

Stay cozy,
Neil

No comments: