Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 147: A Trip of a Lifetime

I'm officially registered for the 2010 Bike the Drive this weekend. I'm very, very excited about this. The weather is supposed to be perfect and it's supposed to be a great experience. The only downside is that the event starts at the nightmarish hour of 5:30am, a time of day which I didn't know still existed. The plus-side of that, however, is that I will be able to watch the sunrise over Lake Michigan, something that I've really not done... at least not on a sunny morning. I'm going to be biking with my bosses, who are a great pair. I'm surprised I haven't heard about anyone else doing it. Come on, people!! At any rate, I'll be taking photos.

On Tuesday after work, I had an epiphany of a trip that I intend to do sometime within the next three years. I originally thought of doing it later this summer, but there is no way that I would be able to spare or afford enough time away from my job any time soon. So, what is this huge trip?

I am going to bike across the country.

How I am going to do this I have not figured out yet. I have only been thinking about this for a couple of days. My immediate thought was, "Well, I'm already in the middle of the country, so how am I going to reach both coasts in one trip?" Then the idea of biking the perimeter of the country popped into my head. Now THAT would be a trip and I believe it would take me at least 3 months to complete, given the fact that this dude went across the country in two months. This is my favorite plan so far.

Of course, amongst other things, a trip of this magnitude would require a lot of training, which is why I don't intend to do this for a few years. I do have two weeks of vacation this year that I'm thinking of taking a biking trip around the Midwest somewhere. Any ideas?

If anything happened to my job, I think this is the first thing I would think of doing. I have a big thirst for life experience right now. I can't wait to quench it.

Neil

2 comments:

shesteiny said...

I'm in. Let's do it later than sooner though. But I'm in.

Neil said...

Good to know! Yeah, logistically I couldn't do it this year or probably even next, although I rilly, rilly want to. We'll see.