Thursday, September 02, 2010

Day 245: Transition

The transition so far has had its good moments and bad, like with any move. I've mostly been out every night, so this is actually my first night of rest. A lot has happened in the past week in my personal life; most events were probably ultimately insignificant in the big picture but they were a bit much to deal with in a short period of time.

But I digress.

I am currently living temporarily in my friend Mary's apartment near Lawrence and Pulaski, so I decided to try out the #53 Pulaski bus for the first time. This bus is almost a straight shot down and reduces my travel time to work from an average of 75-90 minutes to 50 minutes. This is good, but it is a shot against my motivation for riding my bike, as that also takes 50 minutes with my bike-lane-friendly, bad-neighborhood-avoiding route I've plotted out for myself.

I did find it humorous that on the first day I rode the Pulaski bus, I read an article in the RedEye about the worst bus routes and the very same bus was at the top of the list. They are right, though. The bus is always packed, although I get on early enough to get a seat. I have yet to ride my bike to work this week and with today's rain and tomorrow's post-work agenda, it looks as if it's not going to happen.

I did get a wicked workout on Sunday with the moving and subsequent bike riding. I'm not really eating too differently this week either, I don't think, but I'm interested to see if I see any weight gain. I still feel pretty great in general.

Man, I hope I didn't gain weight.

Neil

No comments: